Monday, October 01, 2012

The Fall: Tales From the Apocalypse

Faithful followers, you have not been forgotten. With the summer now in the rear view mirror and October upon us, I present to you the cover of The Fall!

Designed by Calista Taylor, the cover conveys exactly the feel I'd hoped to share. While the orange-hued clouds might be reflecting the fires of destruction in the distance, they might also be tint of the dawn of hope. The collection of fourteen stories by thirteen authors (it just worked out that way, I swear!) includes its share of dystopian images (and yes, more than a couple zombies), but it also includes humor, romance, and the promise of new beginnings.

The book is slated to be released on 10/29 and will be available in electronic form as well as print. If you enjoyed Spring Fevers, you'll be happy to see stories from Mindy McGinnis, Cat Woods, J. Lea López, A.M. Supinger, R.S. Mellette, and myself. But you'll also find several writers who will see their first Elephant's Bookshelf Press stories published, including Jean Oram, R.C. Lewis, Amy Trueblood, Alexandra Tys O'Connor, Patricia Carrillo, Ryan Graudin, and Judy Croome.

I'm very proud of what we've been able to produce, and I want to thank my production team of Cat Woods, Calista Taylor, Jean Oram, Mindy McGinnis, and R.C. Lewis who provided invaluable assistance through the entire process.

8 comments:

Jean Oram said...

I'm proud, honoured and pleased to be a part of The Fall both as a writer and editor. There are some fantastic stories in this anthology.

When I first heard you were planning to do an apocalypse anthology I was thinking dark and heavy. These stories, while having some dark moments, weren't at all what I expected. And I LOVE them for that. There are 13 unique voices and takes on how the world might end and that is entertaining.

Thanks, Matt!

Matt Sinclair said...

Thanks, Jean. I'm looking forward to the response readers have to these stories. I think we'll hear a broad range of opinions, mostly positive.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Cool cover! I like how it conveys both destruction and hope on the horizon. Though, I believe with the billowing darkness, it definitely looks more like trouble approaching. Very good. The collection sounds great. Congratulations on your second publication. I think it'll fit nicely on my kindle.

Matt Sinclair said...

Thanks, Yvonne! I hope you'll be able to submit for the next anthology.

ryan graudin said...

I'm excited to see everyone's take on the impending apocalypse!

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

JEAN: Thanks for all your hard work on my story, THE LAST SACRIFICE, which I'm thrilled is included in the anthology. I can't wait to read all the other stories!

YVONNE: I agree, the cover is terrific - in a way those black skies fading into the pink reminds me of the Rider-Waite Ten of Swords Tarot card (which at first glance looks a real scary card, but on closer inspection offers a glimpse of hope) Same with this cover - there is the threatening darkness, the ramshackle old house, but the blossoming flowers and the soft clouds approaching offer hope after despair & destruction. A subtle cover, far more effective than the usual blood and gore!

MATT: I'm glad I could participate in this anthology. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Matt Sinclair said...

Thank you, Judy, for such a compelling story. I honestly think it'll be the one that attracts the largest (and possibly loudest) response. But I'll add, the tarot card connection never crossed my mind.

Matt Sinclair said...

Thanks, Ryan. I believe your story will get the zombie fans running in the streets. And I mean that in a good way!